1200 Wilmette Avenue
Wilmette, IL 60091
The Health Department's primary function is to protect and promote public health and to prevent illness. The Health Department consists of a Village Public Health Nurse and a Village Sanitarian.
Public Health Nurse
The Village Nurse enhances the health and well-being of all residents through:
- Nursing services that incorporate adult and child health, communicable disease control, assessment of disease, and disability programs
- Assisting the state, county, and other local health departments in monitoring and implementing public policy and safety porgrams
- Providing nursing services to schools to meet state mandates
- Assessing the community health needs and implementing new health care programs accordingly
The Village Nurse conducts health screenings for hypertension, diabetes, cholesterol, colorectal cancer, and adult hearing.
In addition, the Nurse oversees the CPR program, medical sharps program, prescription/over the counter drug collection program, beach water testing program, and the influenza program.
The Village Sanitarian enhances the health and well-being of village residents through:
- Performing regular, unannounced inspections to promote safe food handling practices on all restaurants, day care centers, schools, grocery stores, nursing homes, and facilities which host catering events that are located within the village.
- Responding to complaints and emergencies regarding food service establishments.
- The Village Sanitarian also provides educational material and responds to residents concerns regarding environmental health. These concerns may consist of West Nile Virus, mold, radon, lead, and Indoor Air Quality.