Yard Waste Collection
All yard waste will be collected on Wednesday of each week, starting the first week in April through the last Wednesday in November. Yard waste is collected by a private hauler, Advanced Disposal (formerly Veolia). Additional guidelines of the program are listed below.
Yard Waste Collection Guidelines:
- Only acceptable yard waste material placed into biodegradable, brown paper bags (32-gallons maximum) or in properly tied bundles with an official Village yard waste sticker affixed will be collected.
- Furthermore, branch bundles must be less than four (4) feet in length, contain branches having a maximum diameter of three (3) inches, be wrapped with a natural twine only, and weigh 50 lbs or less.
- Residents have the option of leasing a 96-gallon yard waste toter directly from Advanced Disposal. The cost to lease the toter is $24 per year and can be arranged by calling Veolia directly at 847-272-4145. Each toter must have three yard waste stickers attached to receive collection.
- Examples of acceptable yard waste material include: shrub trimmings, grass clippings, leaves, twigs and garden waste.
- Yard Waste DOES NOT include: whole bushes, root balls, or soil.
- Yard waste collections are made from only one location at each residential property. For residents having alley access, place yard waste in the alley. Residents without alley access must place their yard waste at the curb.
- Yard waste should be placed at the designated location no earlier than 4:00 pm the day before, and no later than 7:00 am the day of collection.
- Biodegradable Yard Waste bags and official Village Yard Waste Stickers ($2.25 per sticker) are available for purchase at the following locations:
Wilmette Village Hall Linden Hardware
1200 Wilmette Avenue 411 Linden Avenue
Chalet Nursery & Garden Shop Millen Hardware
3132 Lake Avenue 1219 Wilmette Avenue
Jewel Food Store Jewel Food Store
1517 Sheridan Rd. 411 Green Bay Rd.
(Plaza del Lago)
Christmas Tree Collection:
Advanced Disposal annually collects Christmas trees for composting on Wednesdays during the first two weeks in January. Please place your Christmas trees at the location of your regular recycling pickup. Trees must be devoid of any ornaments, tinsel, garland or plastic/fabric bag wrap. Other holiday decorations, such as wreaths and garland may be bagged with garbage and set out as refuse.