Yard Waste Collection
Yard waste will be collected on Wednesdays for the entire Village, starting the first week in April through the last Wednesday in November. Yard waste is collected by a private hauler, Advanced Disposal (formerly Veolia). Additional guidelines of the program are listed below.
Yard Waste Collection Guidelines:
- Only acceptable yard waste material placed into biodegradable brown paper bags (32-gallons maximum), in properly tied bundles, or in a leased yard waste toter will be collected.
- Examples of acceptable yard waste material: shrub trimmings, grass clippings, leaves, twigs, and garden waste.
- Yard Waste DOES NOT include: whole bushes, root balls, or soil.
- Each bag or bundle must have 1 official Village yard waste sticker affixed, while the leased toter requires 3 stickers.
- Branch bundles must be less than four (4) feet in length, contain branches having a maximum diameter of three (3) inches, be wrapped with a natural twine only, and weigh no more than 50 lbs.
- Residents have the option of leasing a 96-gallon yard waste toter directly from Advanced Disposal. The cost to lease the toter is $27.54 per year (rate effective April 2014) and can be arranged by calling Advanced Disposal directly at 847-272-4145. Each toter must have three yard waste stickers attached to receive collection.
Biodegradable Yard Waste bags and official Village Yard Waste Stickers ($2.25 per sticker) are available for purchase at the following locations:
Wilmette Village Hall Linden Hardware
1200 Wilmette Avenue 411 Linden Avenue
Chalet Nursery & Garden Shop Millen Hardware
3132 Lake Avenue 1219 Wilmette Avenue
Jewel Food Store Jewel Food Store
1517 Sheridan Rd. 411 Green Bay Rd.
(Plaza del Lago)
Christmas Tree Collection
Advanced Disposal annually collects Christmas trees for composting on Wednesdays during the first two weeks in January. Please place your Christmas trees at the location of your regular recycling pickup. Trees must be devoid of any ornaments, tinsel, garland or plastic/fabric bag wrap. Other holiday decorations, such as wreaths and garland may be bagged with garbage and set out as refuse.