Snow Removal Parking Ban Reminder
Jan 21, 13
Winter is in full force! Please keep the following in mind:
- If you park your car on the street, plan now as to where to move your car prior to any snowfall.
- Winter Precipitation Events (snow of less than 2 inches, sleet, freezing rain or ice): parking is prohibited on one side of the street for streets that are no more than 27 feet wide. Please click here for a map of all streets less than 27' in width. These streets are posted with winter precipitation signs. This is in effect for 24 hours after the event or until the salting operation is complete. The purpose of the parking ban during sleet or freezing rain is to allow trucks access to the streets to spread salt.
After a snowfall of 2 inches or more: parking is prohibited on both sides of a street for a period of 24 hours after the snowfall stops or until the clearing operations are complete. In the event of an impending snowstorm, residents are asked to park their vehicles in the garage or driveway. Please ensure that sidewalks are not blocked by vehicles; this impedes the progress of sidewalk plowing operations.
- If possible, do not travel. Cars that become stuck in the road will block the street preventing snow removal.
- Plowing operations are based on a priority system. Main roads and well-traveled routes, such as those leading to schools, are plowed first.
- It may take up to 48-72 hours to clear sidewalks after a heavy snowfall.
- An unfortunate consequence of the snow removal program is the side delivery of snow from plows, resulting in the discharge of snow toward the curb and driveway aprons. The Village suggests waiting until plows have cleared the street before cleaning the driveway apron. If possible, throw snow on the parkway to the right of the driveway (when facing the street). Subsequent snow plow passes will then push this extra snow away from the driveway rather than into the driveway.
- There are approximately 8,000 driveways throughout the community and the Village does not have the resources to plow snow from driveway aprons. If assistance is needed for shoveling snow from sidewalks or driveways, please consider contacting the WilWork youth employment referral program at 847-853-7608 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For questions or concerns regarding snow removal, please contact Public Works at 847-853-7500 Monday - Friday, between the hours of 7:00am and 3:00pm. Outside of regular business hours, please contact the Police Department's Non-Emergency Line at 847-256-1200.