The Illinois EPA has organized a one-day drop off event for Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) in Glencoe on June 12, 2021. This event is free to all Illinois residents. The drop-off will be located at 290 Park Avenue in Glencoe and will run from 8:00 AM to 3:00 PM but PRE-REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED. Click here to register.
ACCEPTED ITEMS: chemical cleaners, oil-based paints, thinners, antifreeze, motor oil, gasoline, kerosene, weed killers, insecticides and pesticides, old or outdated medication, and similar hazardous household products. Fluorescent and other high-intensity discharge lamps may also be brought to the collections.
ITEMS NOT ACCEPTED include latex paint, explosives, propane tanks, fire extinguishers, smoke detectors, agricultural chemicals and business wastes.
For safe transport of household hazardous waste, residents are asked to:
- Pack household hazardous waste items in a disposable box to avoid spilling during transport.
- Keep like chemicals together and separate unlike chemicals.
- Secure lids and make sure containers are not leaking.
- Place box(es) of household hazardous waste in empty trunk of your vehicle, away from passengers during transport.
- Remain in vehicle at collection site. On-site personnel will remove the household hazardous waste from your vehicle.
Long-Term Collection Locations
In addition to the one-day collections, the following long-term collection facilities are available for disposal of household hazardous waste throughout the year:
- Naperville, 156 Fort Hill Drive (immediately North of Naperville Public Works), DuPage County, www.naperville.il.us/hhw.aspx
Hours: Saturdays 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM, Sundays 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM, Phone: 630-420-6095
- Rockford, Rock River Reclamation District, 3333 Kishwaukee, Winnebago County
Hours: Saturdays 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM, Sundays Noon – 4:00 PM, Phone: 815-987-5570
- Chicago, Goose Island, 1150 North Branch, Cook County www.cityofchicago.org/hccrf
Hours: Tuesdays 7:00 AM – Noon, Thursdays 2:00 PM – 7:00 PM, and
First Saturday of every month 8:00 AM – 3:00 PM, Phone: 312-744-3060
- Lake County, The Solid Waste Agency of Lake County (SWALCO) currently operates a long-term household chemical waste collection program. Information and a collection schedule can be found on their website (www.swalco.org) or by calling 847-336-9340.