Additional Information on April 30 ComEd Substation Fire

On Friday (4/30/21) afternoon, there was a fire at the ComEd substation off 12th Street that caused widespread outages across the Village. The fire was caused as ComEd was working on equipment and one of the breakers attached to the transformer malfunctioned. This failure caused the transformer to overheat and eventually explode. There were small spot fires on support equipment and all fires were contained to the yard. When the equipment was de-energized, Wilmette Fire personnel were able to stop the spread of the fire and prevent additional damage to the area. There were no injuries and only damage to ComEd equipment. Power was restored to all businesses and residents by 7pm. Thank you to ComEd crews and Fire and Police personnel for their quick response and efforts.

This post was published on 5/3/21.

Wilmette