In celebration of Asian-American & Pacific Islander Heritage Month, the Village has created a hub of relevant resources, events, and community programming.
Below are resources from the Wilmette Public Library and other institutions that will help you to explore and understand the culture and history of Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders.
- If you are a film fan, Kanopy has gathered a collection of films that celebrate and explore AAPI stories. Click here to view these movies for free with your Wilmette library card.
- If you are an avid reader, the Smithsonian Asian Pacific American Center has curated a collection of stories and books. Click here for the reading list.
- If you are a music lover, the Chicago Youth Symphony Orchestras created a AAPI playlist. Click here for the playlist.
See below for more information on all the ways in which our community is celebrating AAPI history and heritage! Below is a listing of local and regional events.
|Sakura Tales: Stories from Japan
|Phantom the Musical
|Jessamine Chan and Emily Maloney
|K-Pop Won’t Stop (K-Pop Appreciation Party)
|RESCEHDULED: An Evening with Michelle Zauner
- Skokie Public Library
- Sunday, May 15 at 2:00 p.m.
- Children can explore the playful world of renowned Japanese artist through creative art projects
- Virtual Event sponsored by Asian Americans Advancing Justice
- Thursday, May 19 at 5:00 p.m.
- Learn about disrespect and dangers that Asian and Asian American have faced and face right now
- Virtual Event sponsored by the State of Illinois
- Tuesday, May 24 at 12:00 p.m.
- Panel discussion on supporting AAPI businesses