The Village utilizes a private recycling hauler, Waste Management, to provide weekly recycling collection for each residence.
Recycling collection occurs on the same day as refuse collection, however, these collections will be made at different times as separate trucks are used. Click here for a full list of acceptable recycling materials.
Do you have questions about what can and cannot be recycled? Do you ever wonder if the things you put in the bin actually get recycled? Learn how to recycle better locally by watching Go Green Wilmette’s Recycling Demystified Webinar, recorded March 24, 2021.
Recycling Collection Guidelines:
- In 2010, each residence was issued one standard 64-gallon wheeled toter for recycling collection. If you would like to change the size of your toter or obtain additional toters, please contact Waste Management directly at 847-272-4145. 64-gallon toters may be upgraded to 96-gallons for a fee of $40, and additional toters can be rented for $28.30 per toter, per year (rate effective 2021), paid directly to Waste Management.
- Residents will receive recycling collection once per week. All recyclable material must be placed inside the toter to be collected. Materials placed outside of the toter will not be collected, or will be collected as trash. Residents who consistently generate larger volumes of recyclables each week are recommended to upgrade to a larger recycling toter or lease an additional recycling toter(s).
- Recycling toters can be placed out as early as 4:00 p.m. prior to scheduled collection day and must be out no later than 7:00 a.m. on the day of collection.
- Residences with alley access: place recycling toters in the alley (away from garage and clear of any obstructions).
- Residences without alley access: place recycling toters behind the curb (within 4ft. of the curb). Ensure that all toters are spaced at least 2ft. apart when placed out for collection.
- NO PLASTIC BAGS! The recycling program utilizes single stream technology where acceptable recycling materials do not require pre-sorting and can be mixed or commingled together in the toter. When placing recyclables inside the toters, please do not package items inside plastic bags as they are not recyclable. Likewise, remember to thoroughly rinse food and beverage containers before placing into the toters. Lastly, do not place any soiled fiber material including: pizza boxes, used paper towels, paper plates or tissue into the toters.
Green Pages Reuse and Recycling Directory
For items not appropriate for the recycling bin, the Solid Waste Agency of Northern Cook County (SWANCC) provides the Green Pages Reuse and Recycling Directory, a useful resource for residents seeking outlets for items they no longer need. Reuse opportunities include, but are not limited to, the following items:
- office equipment
- sporting goods
There are also online avenues, such as freecycle.org, which aim to keep usable materials out of landfills.
This page was updated on 6/2/22.