The Village utilizes a private recycling hauler, Advanced Disposal (formerly Veolia) to provide weekly recycling collection for each residence.
Recycling collection occurs on the same day as refuse collection, however, these collections will be made at different times as separate trucks are used. Click here to see a full list of acceptable recycling materials.
Recycling Collection Guidelines:
- Each residence will be issued one standard 64-gallon wheeled toter for recycling collection. To receive a larger 96-gallon toter, contact Advanced Disposal directly at 847-272-4145. Recycling toters are identified with a gray lid, while refuse toters are identified with a green lid.
- Residents will receive recycling collection once per week. All recyclable material must be placed inside the toter to be collected. Materials placed outside of the toter will not be collected. For those residents who consistently generate larger volumes of recyclables each week, it is recommended to either upgrade to a larger recycling toter size or lease additional recycling toters.
- Recycling toters can be placed out as early as 4:00pm prior to scheduled collection day and must be out no later than 7:00am on the day of collection.
- Residences with alley access: place recycling toters in the alley (away from garage and clear of any obstructions).
- Residences without alley access: place recycling toters within 4ft. of the curb. Ensure that all toters are spaced at least 2ft. apart when placed out for collection.
- The recycling program utilizes single stream technology where acceptable recycling materials do not require pre-sorting and can be mixed or commingled together in the toter. When placing recyclables inside the toters, please do not package items inside plastic bags as they are not recyclable. Likewise, remember to thoroughly rinse food and beverage containers before placing into the toters. Lastly, do not place any soiled fiber material including: pizza boxes, used paper towels, paper plates or tissue into the toters.
Green Pages Reuse and Recycling Directory
For items not appropriate for the recycling bin, the Solid Waste Agency of Northern Cook County (SWANCC) provides the Green Pages Reuse and Recycling Directory, a useful resource for residents seeking outlets for items they no longer need. Reuse opportunities include, but are not limited to, the following items:
- office equipment
- sporting goods
There are also online avenues, such as freecycle.org, which aim to keep usable materials out of landfills.