The Village utilizes a private refuse hauler, Waste Management, to provide weekly refuse collection for each residence. Refuse collection occurs on the same day as recycling and yard waste collection, but these collections will be made at different times and by different trucks.
NOTE: Bulk Item Collection Resumed Monday, May 11. Waste Management has determined that is safe for their drivers to resume bulk collection while continuing to adhere to social distancing guidelines. Please help Waste Management’s crews transition back to bulk collection service by refraining from putting out large piles all at once.
Monthly Saturday drop-offs for electronics recycling at the Public Works Facility (711 Laramie Ave) will resume on 7/11/20.
Refuse Collection Guidelines:
- In 2010, each residence received one wheeled toter for refuse collection. If you would like to change the size of your toter or obtain additional toters, please contact Waste Management directly at 847-272-4145.
- Residents physically unable to utilize the larger 64- or 96-gallon toters may request a 35-gallon toter by contacting Waste Management. There will be a $50 charge to upgrade from a 35-gallon toter at anytime.
- Refuse collection is once per week and is unlimited. Additional bagged refuse materials can be set neatly next to the refuse toter for collection.
- Refuse toters can be placed out as early as 4:00 p.m. the day before your scheduled collection.
- Refuse toters must be placed out no later than 7:00 a.m. on the day of collection.
- For residences with alley access, place refuse toters in the alley (away from the garage and clear of any obstructions).
- For residents with no alley, place refuse toters behind the curb (within four feet of the curb). Ensure that all toters are spaced at least 2 ft. apart when placed out for collection.
- Residents who are interested in “back-door” collection service at an additional cost and/or second weekly pick-up, please contact Waste Management directly to register for this service and make payment arrangements. Both services cost an additional $16.79 per month (rate effective 2021), paid directly to Waste Management. Please note: residents who have alley access are not eligible for back door service. Back-door service is only available for refuse collection; recycling toters will still need to be placed at the curb.
- Construction Debris: Waste Management will collect up to one cubic yard of construction debris each week at no cost. Such items are: interior/exterior household construction, remodeling and repair projects, such as: drywall, plywood and paneling pieces, lumber and other building materials, windows, doors, cabinets, carpeting, disassembled bathroom and kitchen fixtures; and small amounts of sod, earth, clay, sand, concrete, rocks, and similar material. Construction debris should be placed inside the refuse toter whenever possible. For additional volume that exceeds one cubic yard, contact Waste Management directly to schedule a special pick-up and arrange for payment ($23.58 per additional cubic yard, rate effective 2021).
- Special Collections: Bulky items will automatically be collected on your normal refuse collection day at no cost. These items include household materials that are too large to deposit in the refuse toters, such as: mattresses*, couches, chairs, tables, book cases, bicycles, and carpet rolls (each roll cannot exceed 5 ft. in length or 50 lbs in weight). Residents that have alley access, must place these items in the alley. Residents with no alley access must place items at the curb.
*As of 5/29/20 mattresses and box springs must be wrapped or covered to protect employees from possible bed bug exposure.
- White Goods (appliances): Waste Management collects old appliances, such as: washers, dryers, microwaves, air conditioners, dehumidifiers, walk-behind lawnmowers (free of oil and gas) and refrigerators (doors must be removed) at no cost. Contact Waste Management directly to schedule a Wednesday pick-up. Residents that have alley access, must place these items in the alley. For residents with no alley access, place items at the curb.
This page was updated on 8/13/21.