Traffic & Parking

Residential Parking in Wilmette

Village Center Parking

Click here to Request a School Crossing Guard Review.

Click here to view the Avoca West Traffic Study

Click here for information on Rectangular Rapid Flashing Beacons (RRFBs)

Requesting a Traffic Study

The Engineering & Public Works Department reviews transportation-related requests from residents. The funds allocated to this program are for professional services and construction of traffic calming devices in certain areas of the Village as recommended by the Transportation Commission and in keeping with the Traffic Calming Policy.

Use the Village’s online portal to submit a request.


In the online portal, first use the search bar on the map to indicate the location of your request.

Locations can be entered as addresses, intersections, or ranges (i.e. 700 block of Laramie Ave).


Click the “Enter a request type” field.

Choose Traffic Study Request from the drop-down list.


In the “Description” field, enter as much information as possible to help facilitate proper investigation of the matter.

For example, if there is a concern at a traffic signal, cite the time of day and day of week this has been observed, and precise nature of the issue (for example, the east-bound left turn signal is too short).


Below the “Description” field, you will be asked to specify, via two drop-down lists, when your concern is most noticeable (i.e. when school is in session, during the summer, or year-round), and the nature of your specific concern (i.e. high traffic volume, traffic signal request, pedestrian safety, school zone safety, etc.).


Enter your contact information. This is a required field, and will ensure that staff is able to follow up with you regarding the status of your request.


Click “Submit” in the bottom right corner to send your request to the Engineering & Public Works Department for review. Make note of the incident number you are provided. Within a few minutes, you should receive an email from the online portal with a record of your request. If you do not receive an email, contact Ryan Kearney, Assistant Village Engineer at 847-853-7629 or and provide your incident number.

Once your request is received, staff will determine if the request falls under Village jurisdiction or if it needs to be forwarded to IDOT or Cook County Highway. Staff will provide a preliminary response to let you know we are looking into the issue, and provide a projected date for follow-up contact.

Staff will investigate the request which may include field observations, crash reports, a speed study, reference to Federal/State/local guidance and best practices, etc.

If action is required, notices are typically distributed to adjacent stakeholders prior to implementing a traffic change.

If you have any questions please contact Ryan Kearney, Assistant Village Engineer at 847-853-7629 or

This page was last updated on 2/21/23.