UPDATED: July 14th, 2020
The Village of Wilmette will be conducting a competitive testing process to establish a Firefighter Eligibility List beginning in August 2020. To be eligible for placement on Wilmette’s eligibility list, candidates must have a High School Diploma or equivalent (GED) plus one of the following: 60 hours of education from an accredited college or university; two years of military service, Office of the Illinois State Fire Marshal’s Firefighter II/Basic Operations Firefighter Certification or current EMT – Paramedic license. The salary range for this position is $70,750 – $105,073 with excellent benefits.
Applications and additional information can be found here:
The Board of Fire and Police Commissioners derives its power and authority from an Act of the General Assembly entitled Board of Fire and Police Commissioners, of Chapter 65 of the Illinois Compiled Statutes. The Wilmette Board of Fire and Police Commissioners is charged with the appointment of all firefighters. To be considered for employment, candidates must meet the following requirements*:
- 21 to under 35 years of age by date of written exam unless otherwise exempt by state statute;
- U.S. Citizen;
- Valid driver’s license;
- Must successfully complete the Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) and Aerial Ladder Climb Exercise within a ONE YEAR PERIOD prior to the date of the written exam.
- High School Diploma or equivalent (GED) PLUS ONE of the following:
- Sixty (60) hours of education from an accredited college or university;
- Two (2) years of military service;
- Illinois State Fire Marshall’s Firefighter II/Basic Operations Firefighter certification;
- Current EMT – Paramedic license from any state or national registration;
*Note that requirements are subject to change. Please check back frequently for updated employment requirements.
The Village of Wilmette established a Final Eligibility Register for Firefighter employment on November 24, 2018 which will remain in effect until November 24, 2020. Please click the link below to view the Final Eligibility Register.