Community Solar

The Village of Wilmette has partnered with the Metropolitan Mayors Caucus to launch the state’s largest community solar program called the CS2 Residential and Small Commercial Program, which provides consumers easy and immediate access to new community solar farms in northern Illinois.

What Is Community Solar?

A community solar project is a single site solar installation that is shared by multiple consumers (termed “subscribers”). Each subscriber receives net metering credits for their share of the electricity generated by their community solar installation (termed “net metering credits”). These net metering credits reduce the amount of electricity charged to the subscriber’s account each month to yield cost savings. With community solar, subscribers can reduce their monthly electric bills with solar without installing solar panels on their house or business.

Benefits of Community Solar

It is an easy way to support clean energy generation located within Illinois. Supporting these types of projects helps reduce the dependence on fossil fuels and support clean energy generation. In addition, you do not have to invest in a solar asset on your rooftop, which may not be right for everybody. You will receive a net metering credit on your monthly Ameren or ComEd electric utility bill for your share of the generation created by these projects. The mc² program does not have upfront costs, will not lock you into a long-term contract, and will provide savings if the subscriber follows a few simple steps.

How to Sign-Up?

Visit https://www.mc2energyservices.com/IL/Community-Solar/Join-The-Waitlist to join the waitlist. You will need your utility bill handy. You are not obligated to participate by putting your name on the waitlist. The Program’s Billing Administrator, MC Squared Energy Services, LLC, will be handling all of the sign-ups and account administration. Once you have submitted your information, they will contact you when a solar farm is ready.

How Does Billing Work?

It is a two-stage process. After successfully completing the enrollment process, you will receive net metering credits on your monthly utility bill. Then, after you have received your net metering credits from the utility, MC Squared Energy Services, LLC will bill you for 80% of the net metering credits – leaving you with 20% of all net metering credits. You will also be able to see how your participation helps the environment each month!

For more detailed information on billing and for other Frequently Asked Questions, please click here. You do not need to contact the Village of Wilmette to participate in the program. However, if you have questions or problems signing up, please call Erik Hallgren, Assistant Village Manager at (847) 853-7638.

 

This page was updated 2/28/22.

Wilmette