The following green initiatives have been implemented at Village facilities:
Village Hall / Public Works / Fire Stations
- Energy efficient lighting in the first floor office areas
- Motion sensors for lights in private offices and meeting rooms
- Low E glass on all windows
- Energy efficient copy machines, water heater, air conditioning compressor
- Environmentally friendly air filters
- Green chemicals for cleaning (janitorial service)
- Florescent bulb recycling
- Use of low VOC paints
- The 2009 expansion and renovation of the Public Works facility achieved Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Gold certification from the US Green Building Council.
- Fluorescent bulbs and several lights on motion sensors/timers
- Electric heaters replaced with portable heaters that are used when needed
- Replacement of larger 1,200,000 BTU boiler with more efficient 900,000 BTU hot water boiler
- The heating system for two thirds of the plant with point of use thermostats for each area. This improvement eliminated the need for one of the steam boilers to heat large portion of building.
- All new pumps selected with high efficiency motors.
- Replacement of roof with energy efficient and sustainable roof designed for a 30 year life span.
- Using vegetated roofing systems, green roofs will be installed on all new roof areas to assist in blending the new structures with their surroundings and extend the life-cycle of these roofs. The installation was completed in summer 2020.
- The Village entered into a three-year contract with Constellation Energy through the NIMEC (Northern Illinois Municipal Electric Collaborative) bidding process. This supplier will provide renewable energy to the Village water plant, pumping station, and standpipe.