***NOTICE! VILLAGE HALL IS OPERATING WITH REDUCED BUSINESS HOURS AND SERVICES PROVIDED***
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic the Community Development and Engineering Departments have made temporary service adjustments until further notice. Click here for a full list of current in-person services provided and operating business hours. Staff will continue to be available by telephone and email during regular business hours: 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Please call the Community Development Department at (847) 853-7550 to schedule an inspection. If your call is not answered, please leave a voicemail message; a permit clerk will return your call as soon as possible. Requests for inspection must be confirmed over the phone; please do not assume that an inspection has been scheduled just by leaving a voicemail message. Inspections will be scheduled Monday through Friday between 8:30 a.m. and 12:00 p.m.
Exterior inspections will continue to be scheduled.
Interior inspections will only be scheduled and conducted for new construction projects (where the structure is not currently and has not been occupied):
- Only one contractor may be present during an inspection. The inspector will interact with the contractor outside and enter the structure unaccompanied.
- The inspector will ask and the inspection will not be conducted if the response to any of these questions is affirmative:
- Has anyone in your household been sick within the last 14 days?
- Is there anyone you have been around/cared for that was recently sick?
- Do you have a fever?
- Are you experiencing a cough?
- Are you experiencing shortness of breath?
- Do you currently feel sick?
- Have you traveled to any locations that are currently restricted by the US government such as Italy, Iran, South Korea, or China?
Interior inspections of occupied homes will not be done by the building inspectors. Instead, owners and contractors are asked to document work with photos and videos and/or self-certification. However, please call to schedule an inspection as you normally would. The inspectors will follow up with you about arranging for the appropriate review of the work to be inspected. For general questions about the acceptable documentation of work to be inspected, please contact the plan reviewer Scott Berg at firstname.lastname@example.org or (847) 853-7526.
For current information about engineering inspections, visit their inspection web page.
If you wish to apply for a permit, you may use the permit pages below and email your application and submittals to email@example.com. Electronic submittals are the preferred format at this time. Paper submittals can be dropped off in a bin in the vestibule of Village Hall on the east (fountain) side of the building, which will be open limited hours during the weekday, however since staff will not be on the premises, these submittals will not be processed as quickly as electronic submittals. Please see the permit checklist for a description of what types of submittals are required for your project. For addition and new home projects, see the Construction and Demolition Handbook for complete details.Fillable building permit application - Pages A and C
Fillable grading and right-of-way permits application - Page B
Fillable dumpster permit application
Fillable fence permit application
Fillable hydrant tap form
Fillable portable storage container application
Fillable roof permit application
Fillable site development plan form
Fillable tree removal permit application
For all other permit-related forms, visit Applications & Forms.
Permits will continue to be issued. Payment will only be taken online. When you are contacted that your permit is ready to issue, you will be given instructions on how to arrange for online payment and obtaining your permit card and approved permit drawings.
Community Development – (847) 853-7550 – firstname.lastname@example.org
Engineering – (847) 853-7660 – email@example.com
Permits are required to ensure the health, safety and welfare of the community.
Permits are required for a variety of activities including:
- Construction, remodeling or rehabbing of residential properties
- Construction, remodeling or rehabbing of commercial properties
- Block Party Permits
- Alarm User Permits
- Public Demonstration Permits
- Solicitor Permit
- Temporary Food Events
- Towing/Booting License
- Dumpster Permit Application & Fee Information
- Utility Permits in the ROW (e.g. telecommunications, cable, gas, electric, etc.)
- Solar Photovoltaic (PV) Permit
Click here for a comprehensive list of what work requires a permit.
Click here for the current construction permit fee schedule.
See the Applications & Forms tab to the left for all available permit-related documents.