CANNABIS IN ILLINOIS: WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
Effective January 1, 2020, Public Act 101-0027 legalizes the possession and private use of cannabis for Illinois residents over 21 years of age. * INDIVIDUALS UNDER 21 YEARS OF AGE CANNOT POSSESS OR CONSUME CANNABIS (720 ILCS 550/4(a)).
CANNABIS CAN ONLY BE PURCHASED LEGALLY AT LICENSED DISPENSARIES
The Village of Wilmette Board approved a moratorium prohibiting the sale of recreational cannabis in Wilmette. This moratorium does not have any impact upon the new lawful authority of individuals to purchase, possess and use cannabis within the limitations provide by state law.
Possession Limits for Adult Illinois Residents:
- 30 Grams of raw cannabis in a sealed, odorless container,
- 500mg of Cannabis-infused product(s) containing THC, and
- 5 grams of cannabis product in concentrated form
Possession Limits for Adult Non-Illinois Residents:
- Half of the amounts allowed for Illinois residents
Public Use is Prohibited – “Public Place” is defined as any place where a person could reasonably be expected to be seen by others.
Smoke Free Illinois Act – The restrictions of the Smoke Free Illinois Act also apply to the Cannabis Regulation and Tax Act. Property owners may prohibit the use of cannabis by any guest, lessee, customer or visitor. In addition, individuals cannot possess or use cannabis on a school bus, school grounds, private residence licensed for day care.
TRANSPORTATION AND USE
Driving Under The Influence of Cannabis Is Illegal
Vehicles: 625 ILCS 5/11-502.15
- Cannabis consumption in vehicle is prohibited
- Cannabis must be in sealed, odorless container reasonably inaccessible when transported
- Offenses in vehicles by persons under 21 years may result in driver’s license suspension or revocation 625 ILCS 5/6-206
- Adults over 21 cannot use cannabis in proximity to individuals under 21
- Residential cannabis use cannot be publicly viewable
- Landlords and building associations can prohibit smoking of cannabis.
RESOURCES FOR PARENTS
Village of Wilmette E-news
Register for regular updates from the Village delivered right to your inbox. Don’t miss out on Crime Alerts, Village Board news, upcoming event details, street construction notices, seasonal service reminders and more.
Click Here to register for Wilmette eNews
Police Department Headquarters
710 Ridge Road
Wilmette, Illinois 60091
(847) 256-1200 Non-Emergency
(847) 256-2739 Fax