On December 12th, the Village Board formed a Minimum Wage & Paid Sick Leave Working Group comprised of residents and business owners. The working group was tasked with conducting a study of the Cook County Ordinances specifically as they relate to Wilmette, including the impact on businesses, employees, and the Village as a whole.
The Working Group has met on the following dates:
- Monday, January 8th at 7:00pm – meeting audio
- Monday, January 22nd at 7:00pm – meeting audio
- Monday, February 5th at 7:00pm – meeting audio
- Monday, March 5th at 7:00 p.m. – meeting audio
- Monday, March 19th at 7:00 p.m. – meeting audio
- Monday, April 9th at 7:00 p.m. – meeting audio
- Monday, April 30th at 7:00 p.m. – meeting audio
At its final meeting on April 30th the Working Group issued its final report which is scheduled to be presented to the Village Board at a Committee of the Whole meeting on Tuesday, May 15th at 7:00 p.m. The report can be viewed by clicking here. Residents with questions or comments concerning the study are encouraged to email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Meeting agendas and packets for all Working Group meetings are below.
Village Board Finance Committee met on November 13, 2017 to begin its study of the Cook County Minimum Wage and Paid Sick Leave Ordinances. At this meeting, the Committee reached a consensus to form a working group of community volunteers to assist in the study and ensure that diverse viewpoints across the community are represented. The Village is pleased to announce that former Village President John Jacoby has agreed to chair this working group.
The Finance Committee met on Monday, December 4th at 7:00pm and made recommendation to the Village Board regarding composition and mandate of the working group. Click here to view the meeting agenda. Click here to view the meeting packet. Additional agenda materials are available by clicking here: part 1 – part 2. Click here to listen to the meeting audio recording.
November 13, 2017 Finance Committee Meeting Information
- Meeting Agenda
- Meeting Packet
- Additional Agenda Materials Part 1
- Additional Agenda Materials Part 2
- Additional Agenda Materials Part 3
- November 13, 2017 Meeting Audio Recording
- Meeting minutes
At the June 27, 2017 Village Board meeting the Village Board considered an Ordinance opting-out of the Cook County Minimum Wage and Sick Leave requirements. The Board voted 6-1 in favor of opting out of the minimum wage requirements and 5-2 in favor of opting out of the sick leave requirements. Although the Village Board voted to opt-out of the Cook County requirements at that time, the Board did request that the issues be studied and discussed in more detail at the committee level.
The Finance Committee is tasked with assembling, analyzing, and presenting data relevant to policy choices concerning the Cook County Ordinances so as to better inform the Village Board. It is the Finance Committee’s goals to submit a report to the Village Board no later than April 2018 (in advance of the next scheduled minimum wage rate increase).
In preparation of the November 13, 2017 Finance Committee meeting, the following information has been prepared (this same material can be downloaded as one consolidated file above- see ‘Meeting Packet’:
- Meeting Presentation
- Introductory Documents
- Ordinances (local and Cook County)
- June 27, 2017 Village Board Agenda Item
- Legal Opinions (local and Cook County)
- Chamber of Commerce Communications
- Wilmette Employment and Jobs Data
- Village President Correspondence
- Economic Studies
- Local News Stories
- Resident Communications to the Village