At its July 28, 2020 meeting, the Village Board voted to adopt a resolution establishing an adult-use cannabis referendum on the November 2020 ballot. This was an advisory (non-binding) referendum intended to gauge public opinion and guide future discussions by the Village. This referendum question was included on all Wilmette ballots, the referendum question read:
“Shall the retail sale of adult use recreational cannabis be permitted within the Village of Wilmette at a business licensed by the State of Illinois?”
Per Cook County’s Official Certificate of Results, the cannabis referendum question results are as follows:
- 17,723 Total Ballots Cast
- Yes Votes – 9,681 (56.39%)
- No Votes – 7,486 (43.61%)
- 556 ballots cast did not answer the cannabis question
- Click here for referendum results by precinct.
The referendum is advisory only and does not bind the Village into taking any action. There is additional action the Village Board must take in order to allow or deny the sale of recreational cannabis within the Village.
If the Village Board moves to allow the sale of recreational cannabis within Wilmette, they will need to address the following:
- What types of recreational cannabis establishments will be permitted.
- If such zoning uses are permitted or special use.
- Permittable zoning districts relating to recreational cannabis sales.
- A total number of establishments permitted to operate within the Village.
- Minimum distances recreational cannabis businesses must be from other types of sensitive zoning uses (schools, parks, playgrounds, etc.).
- If on-site consumption will be permitted at recreational cannabis businesses.
If the Village Board moves to deny the sale of recreational cannabis within Wilmette, they will need to amend the current moratorium to a permanent restriction on recreational cannabis businesses.
The moratorium is set to expire on June 30, 2021, this issue is expected to undergo Village Board deliberation starting in February of 2021.
To further inform Wilmette residents, the Village wanted to provide additional information that is relevant to state recreational cannabis regulations, Village regulations in regards to recreational cannabis, and helpful resources. For further information on the cannabis referendum, click on the below images.
|State Regulations||Surrounding Communities
Past Village Board Discussions, Packets, Agendas, Etc.
FAQ’s & Additional Resources
Additional Resources can be found at the Illinois Cannabis Resource Website.
This page was updated on 01/29/2021.